Thursday, March 10, 2011

Story telling with composition?


Though my grasp of it is small, this is a subject that has fascinated me for as long as I've been drawing. Essentially the idea is that you communicate whats happening to the viewer through intentional guidance. Leading their view around the picture in order to put together a narrative. Seems simple enough, but its a lot harder than it looks. You have to take into account how to manage to get the viewer's eyes to stop first on the area you want to be the focal point.

So what are these two doing in this picture? Why are they doing it? Making these answers clear is my first job as an artist. every picture should have a message. And the first step to doing great art is having that message be clear.

Critique on this picture? I stopped it because it was unsuccessful for me. There isn't any depth, and the motion in it is stopped by Glisius's arms. But it was a learning experience, and I did succeed at least at conveying their aggressiveness. Sexy old men<3.



 I've fallen out of the habit of drawing regularly and its almost like a huge part of me is just AFRAID to start again. What is wrong with me? I was being so good reading this book every day and now I avoid it, as well as my other books, whenever I can.

So weird a feeling. I'm not exactly sure what to do about it. Am I afraid of success? I know that if I draw more often... and am more active I'll have a more reliable style and be more successful at what I do. But that's the thing. I KNOW its there and its a possibility but for the fucking life of me I can't grab it.

I rant too much about this. Here's the sketch. I liked the original lineart way better.

No comments:

Post a Comment